- watch a short film
- use adjectives to describe personality
- discuss relationships
- discuss technology
- watch and discuss a short film
Note these are discussion activities for a speaking class based around a short 8 minute silent film called "97%"
(The film provoked considerable discussion when I used it in my FCE / CAE / CPE classes...)
Before you watchA) Discuss personality
- Why do friends get on well with each other?
- How would you describe yourself to other people?
- Physically - choose any 3 words - eg tall, brunette, fair, dark-skinned, brown-eyed etc
- Personality - choose 5 words from the list below
- Who else in class has chosen the same words as you?
B) Discuss relationships
- How many of the personality adjectives above would you look for in a partner?
- Are you in a relationship? Do you have a partner/ boyfriend / girlfriend or are you married?
- What is a "perfect match" in a relationship? Is your partner a perfect match for you? Do "perfect matches" exist? Is personality important when choosing a partner?
- What do you look for in a partner?
- Would you accept a 50% match?
C) Discuss technology
- Do you have a smartphone?
- What do you use it for?
- Do you use social media (facebook, instragram, twitter)?
- What apps do you use?
- Are you addicted to it?
Watch the film below
What do you think the 97% in the title refers to?
97% (Short film) from Ben Brand on Vimeo.
- What do you think is the "message" of the film?
- Do you agree with it? Why / why not?
- What is the most important scene in the film? Why?
- What do you think is the man's attitude towards a) his phone? b) romantic relationships? c) other people? d) life?
- Do you think technology is changing the way we relate to each other? Can you give any examples from your own experience?
- Do you think using a phone app or a dating site is a good way to find a partner?
- Do you think technology will play an increasing role in our relationships and behaviour?
A) Write a review of the film discussing the film's ideas.
- What is the name of the film?
- What kind of film is it?
- What is the message of the film?
- Give a short (1 or 2 sentences) summary of the story. Do not give spoilers.
- Discuss the message of the film?
- Which scene best illustrates its message?
- Discuss the importance, prevalence and role of technology in our lives, our possible addiction to it and the effect it may be having on us and our relationships with each other.
- What is your opinion of the film's ideas and message?
B) "Our relationship with technology is having a damaging effect on the way we relate to each other." To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Introduction (3 sentences)
- Introduce the subject - modern technology
- Introduce the idea to be discussed - our relationship with it.
- Introduce the question - What exactly are the effects it may be having on us?
- Discuss at least 3 examples of technology affecting our relationships or behavior. Give pros and cons. Support your ideas with specific examples.
What is your opinion? Do you agree with the statement? Can you summarize your ideas in one sentence?
- What is beauty? Adjectives, Beauty, Crossword, Describing a person, Elementary, Fashion, Food, Health, IELTS, Intermediate, Life in the UK
- Are the machines taking over? Advanced, Business, Future, Future Continuous, IELTS, Shopping, Technology, Upper Intermediate
- Miss Devine Describing a person, Intermediate, Listening, Miss Devine, Past Habits,Upper Intermediate, Would